George Caulkin sends reassuring takeover message to NUFC fans waiting for an announcement

George Caulkin insists that Newcastle fans should not be worried as we wait for an official announcement regarding a £300m Saudi-backed takeover on Tyneside.

The Athletic writer, who’s widely regarded to be one of the North-East’s most credible reporters, hinted earlier this week that Premier League approval *could* have been given on Wednesday.

In that Tuesday night update, however, he insisted that it would then take at least a ‘few days’ for the funds to be transferred to Mike Ashley, suggesting that no deal would be officially announced until the money is received and the keys to St James’ Park handed over to the prospective buyers.

With us now almost 48 hours on, many are growing impatient and anxiously awaiting confirmation – but Caulkin has insisted he is “not worried” at all, saying fans must simply be patient and wait for the good news to arrive when it does.

Here’s a series of tweets he’s put out today in response to Newcastle fans on social media:

“What I have reported is this: Staveley’s people were *told* the test could take *up to* 4 weeks, but that’s not definitive.

“At the weekend, they were *told* it could be middle of this week, but that also wasn’t definitive, which I made clear.

“We all want it done and it’s (the waiting) very frustrating, but life is difficult enough at the moment without winding ourselves up into a frenzy.

“Nobody I speak to is worried.”

“I’m not worried!”

“They’ve always been confident and still are, they thought it might be passed over this couple of days, but fundamentally that’s not down to them and it’ll take as long as it has to take.”

Even if the Staveley-led consortium gained the green-light from the Premier League on Wednesday (which they may well have), Caulkin’s insisted that money then needs to be transferred before we’ll hear they’re our owners.

He’s insisted they’re as confident as ever and speaks like it’s a matter of time, so it seems we need to sit back and remain calm – especially when we’ve been given no reason to believe the deal is dragging or faltering in any way.

I know it’s tough, with the constant refreshing of Twitter easily done while we’re bored silly in self-isolation, but we’ve waited 13 years for this, so we can definitely wait another few days if we have to!

(Fancy writing for us? Get in touch at NUFCblogsubmissions@gmail.com & we’ll get back to you!)

About Olly Hawkins

Olly has been a Junior Magpie from birth. As a season ticket holder and avid Newcastle United fan - he eats, sleeps and breathes all things NUFC.

6 thoughts on “George Caulkin sends reassuring takeover message to NUFC fans waiting for an announcement

  1. Think we would have heard by now if deal had been blocked.. Will take a bit longer with deal going thru as George mentioned re money being transferred..Sit tight …

      (Quote)

  2. They’re not bringing the money by camel. It takes nanosecond to transfer cash electronically.
    I’ll believe it when its official.

      (Quote)

  3. The Qatar govt who have a vested interest in BEIN, and who are in political conflict with Saudi appear to be willing to do anything to block this deal, including very expensive litigation against the premier league all designed to delay and frustrate all involved. The UK govt have rightly given the green light for this deal, just need the Premier League to now remove its self from this political argument.

      (Quote)

  4. what a complete worthless , useless report. April has come to an end , but the fools still believe in this takeover

      (Quote)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green