Newcastle United have released the side set to start against Stoke City in our final pre-season friendly of the summer at St James’ Park today – and it’s pretty alarming.
While our front four is as expected, with ASM, Almiron and a rejuvenated Jacob Murphy playing behind Andy Carroll, we’ve only been able to name FIVE subs, have several senior players nowhere to be seen and have been forced to play Hayden at centre-back, with Dummett, Clark, Lejeune, Schar (injured) and Lascelles (suspended) all missing.
Matt Ritchie’s absence also adds fuel to the fire regarding a return to Bournemouth, while midfield duo Jonjo Shelvey and Matty Longstaff are missing from the squad.
Here’s the starting 11 and subs in full:
NUFC XI (4-2-3-1): Darlow – Yedlin Fernandez, Hayden, Manquillo – Barlaser, Sean Longstaff – Murphy, Almiron, Saint-Maximin – Carroll.
Subs: Gillespie, Atsu, Saivet, Joelinton, Muto
Joelinton and Muto are back in the squad, but the lack of fit centre-backs is alarming and Ritchie is also missing amid links to Bournemouth. Jonjo Shelvey’s absence is another real worry now we’re just 7 days away from the new season.
With the above matchday squad in mind, the following players are missing for one reason or another:
- Martin Dubravka (ankle injury)
- Dwight Gayle (knee injury)
- Paul Dummett (limped off vs Boro)
- Ciaran Clark (missed training on Thursday)
- Matt Ritchie (heavily linked with return to Bournemouth)
- Florian Lejeune (struggled at Boro & could be on the way out?)
- Jonjo Shelvey (unknown)
- Jeff Hendrick (international duty)
- Emil Krafth (international duty)
- Matty Longstaff (thigh injury)
- Fabian Schar (shoulder injury)
- Jamaal Lascelles (suspended)
There’s also no sign of Rolando Aarons or Achraf Lazaar, however it seems both have been transfer listed and told to stay away until they find new clubs.
The club have also confirmed that our new PUMA away kit will be worn for the first time this afternoon: