Our first pre-season friendly of the summer has arrived and the teams have just been released ahead of Newcastle United’s 2pm clash with York City.
Here’s the Newcastle United side set to face the National League North team at the LNER Community Stadium:
STARTING XI: Langley, Murphy, Fernandez, Lascelles (c), Watts, Ritchie, Hayden, Hendrick, Fraser, Joelinton, Wilson.
SUBS: Thompson, Clark, Dummett, Lewis, M Longstaff, S Longstaff, Saint-Maximin, Muto, Gayle.
The following players are not involved in today’s game:
- Martin Dubravka (injury)
- Elliot Anderson (injury)
- Karl Darlow (COVID-19)
- Freddie Woodman (self-isolating)
- Mark Gillespie (self-isolating)
- Miguel Almiron (extended break after Copa America)
- Emil Krafth (extended break after Euros)
- Fabian Schar (extended break after Euros)
- Jonjo Shelvey (At the game but not in the squad after joining pre-season training later than others)
- Florian Lejeune (No update, but fears he’s been left out as he has no future under Bruce)
- Javier Manquillo (At the game but not in the squad)
As expected, U23 stopper Dan Langley makes his first appearance for the senior side, with Dubravka injured, Darlow contracting COVID and Woodman and Gillespie forced to self-isolate as a result.
It’s also a big moment for 16-year-old Academy talent Max Thompson, who makes the bench for this one, and a huge chance for Kelland Watts to impress following a successful loan spell at Plymouth last season.
Elsewhere, our U23’s are busy taking on Harrogate Town in the other 2pm kick off – a game which was going to be spread across our first-team squad had Karl Darlow not tested positive for COVID-19.
That said, new signings Charlie Wiggett (Chelsea), Remi Savage (Liverpool) and Cameron Ferguson, son of Duncan, all feature in the squad set to face Harrogate.
You can live stream the first-team’s 2pm kick off at York via the club’s official Youtube page.