A round up of all of today’s NUFC news and gossip:
- Lee Charnley, Rafa Benitez and club skipper Jamaal Lascelles have sent a joint message to Newcastle fans – asking for ‘unity’ now the transfer window is closed and the new season is about to begin – Full story here.
- Rafa Benitez has spoken to the press ahead of Saturday’s game with Tottenham, addressing the transfer window, his future and tomorrow’s game with Spurs – See his comments here.
- News has broken this morning that Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is on the verge of completing a takeover of retail chain House of Fraser, at a cost of £90m – his one and only big signing of the summer now deadline day has passed! – Full story here.
- In reaction to this, Alan Shearer has hit back at Ashley in brilliant style on social media – asking ‘what position’ does this ‘House of Fraser’ play? – See his amusing tweet here.
- Luke Edwards has revealed the ridiculous reason why the board refused to back Benitez this summer – claiming they questioned his judgement based on previous failings; also punishing him for his failure to sign a new contract – Full story here.
- According to The Chronicle, Rafa Benitez had lined updeals for Liverpool’s Ragnar Klavan and Stoke’s Erik Pieters – only for the board to make little effort to get either deal done, claiming they didn’t fit the ‘club’s criteria’ – Full story here.
- After his £6m arrival at St James’ Park last night, Swansea fan Gareth Thomas told us why Federico Fernandez will be a brilliant signing for Rafa Benitez – Read his interesting insight here.
- And finally, with Spurs at home to come tomorrow, here’s the NUFC starting 11 we expect Rafa Benitez to go with – See full team here.