Callum Wilson grabbed the headlines in our 2-1 win over the Toffees on Sunday, but there were several other NUFC stars who starred at St James’ Park.
Federico Fernandez barely put a foot wrong at centre back, Jacob Murphy kept Everton’s left side quiet all afternoon from his new role at right wing-back, Sean Longstaff was back to somewhere near his best and Miguel Almiron was a constant thorn in Everton’s side at both ends of the pitch.
It was none of the above who was handed the Premier League’s ‘official’ Man of the Match, however.
In fact, it wasn’t even given to a Newcastle United player, with it emerging that Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin was somehow awarded with the post-match prize!
He may have been in stunning form so far this season, with his late strike making him the league’s joint top scorer on eight, but he was generally a spectator and starved of service on Sunday.
Meanwhile, at the other end of the pitch, Callum Wilson scored twice, bulled Yeri Mina and Michael Keane, worked his socks off all afternoon and ended up on the winning side thanks to his brace.
Work that one out!
Here’s the ‘official’ Man of the Match’s from gameweek 7 according to the Premier League:
- Sheffield 0-1 Man City – Kyle Walker
- Fulham 2-0 West Brom – Aleksandar Mitrovic
- Wolves 2-0 Crystal Palace – Rayan Ait-Nouri
- Burnley 0-3 Chelsea – Hakim Ziyech
- Man Utd 0-1 Arsenal – Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Aston Villa 3-4 Southampton – Jack Grealish
- Spurs 2-1 Brighton – Harry Kane
- Newcastle 2-1 Everton – Dominic Calvert-Lewin
- Leeds 1-4 Leicester – Jamie Vardy
- Liverpool 2-1 West Ham – Mo Salah