According to a ‘source from inside the club’, Mike Ashley has told the Saudi consortium to get their money together and prepare for purchase next month – saying he is ‘certain’ he’ll win the arbitration case against the Premier League.
This comes from a bold Friday night ‘exclusive’ from The Sun’s Ken Lawrence, which states that the NUFC owner now believes the £300m deal will be given the green light.
After the would-be buyers reluctantly walked away last summer, the club has taken the Premier League to the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) – a hearing scheduled to begin ‘next Friday’ – while a separate arbitration hearing is also believed to be pencilled in for July.
The same report also claims that the Government ‘hope’ a deal can be resurrected, states Ashley has remained in ‘close contact’ with Amanda Staveley since the deal broke down last year and reveals what a NUFC insider has told them about the current feeling behind the scenes.
Here’s what a source close to the club has told them this week:
“Mike Ashley is certain he’ll win his case.
“He has told the consortium to have their money ready to complete in a month.”
The Sun say that Mike Ashley feels the ‘real reason’ behind Premier League delays – which ultimately tipped the Saudis over the edge almost 12 months ago – were down to the ‘big six’s’ efforts to get the deal blocked.
Pinch of salt needed given what we’ve been through over the past few years, but we’ll have to hope there is some truth behind this latest takeover report!