Newcastle United’s new owners have not given up hope of bringing Rafa Benitez back to the club, according to new reports.
Football Insider claim that the Saudi consortium are ready to make another move for the Spaniard, having lined up the 61-year-old last summer when the takeover looked set to go through.
They report that the club have an ‘inkling of hope’ that he could be persuaded to leave Goodison Park and return to St James’ – despite the fact he committed himself to Everton when asked about the NUFC rumours last week.
Interestingly, a source close to the club is believed to have told Football Insider that “prising Benitez from the Wirral rather than Everton” remains the biggest problem, with Rafa currently working right by his family home.
That said, he’s been the subject of heavy abuse from Blues fans over the past few months. He had won a few over with a string of good results after threatening banners were erected close to his home, however boos were ringing around Goodison Park after Watford’s 5-2 win on Saturday.
It’s said that Amanda Staveley and Co want to give it one last shot and find out if Benitez really is a non-starter before ‘abandoning their pursuit completely’, with the search for Steve Bruce’s replacement expected to pick up a notch next week.
Would you like to see Rafa back on Tyneside, or do you feel a new era should mean a completely new manager this time around?