According to reports emerging from France late last night, Lucas Paqueta has handed in a transfer request.
This comes from L’Equipe, who claim that the player has now asked to leave Lyon this summer, also stating that the Ligue 1 side won’t stand in his way – providing a suitable offer arrives.
On the subject of potential offers, French outlet Media Foot reported on Friday that we’d launched a ‘€40m bid’ for 24-year-old, however The Chronicle were quick to play down such suggestions.
They say that Lyon are yet to receive a concrete offer this summer, which fits in with what we were told by the player’s agent last month.
Recruitment chief Steve Nickson is believed to be an admirer of Paqueta – who is best mates with current Mag Bruno Guimaraes – however both The Athletic and The Telegraph have suggested that we’ve been prioritising moves for a striker and a right-winger instead.
That said, if the player is pushing to leave and becomes attainable at the right price, it makes you wonder if we’d push the trigger?
Lee Ryder reckons the South American ‘remains open minded’ about the possibility of following Bruno to the Premier League. What’s not clear is how Newcastle United may proceed now he’s actively looking to leave.
Will we make a move now he’s become available or could the club stand firm and stick to strengthening areas in greater need of investment? I guess time will tell if he really does want out this summer, as this may no longer be a move we can put on the back-burner for another transfer window.