A round-up of today’s NUFC news and gossip:
- Rafa Benitez has questioned Newcastle’s lack of investment at Academy level, also revealing what Matty Longstaff was like during his time in charge – Full story here.
- As revealed by the Northern Echo, Steve McClaren has ‘made contact’ with club chiefs at the Stadium of Light to express his interest in the Sunderland job – Full story here.
- The Chronicle’s Mark Douglas expects Martin Dubravka and Isaac Hayden to pen new deals soon, also revealing that Matty Longstaff should sign a new improved contract at the club – Full story here.
- The club have confirmed that Matt Ritchie has undergone a ‘minor ankle operation’, with him not expected to return until the end of the month as a result – Full story here.
- Atlanta Utd President Darren Eales has spoken out about Miguel Almiron’s struggle for goals at Newcastle, believing his poor form is down to ‘confidence’ issues – Full story here.
- A brilliant clip has emerged on social media this week, showing Allan Saint-Maximin’s best bits from his electric display in our 1-0 win over Manchester United – Watch it here.
- Sam Allardyce has insisted there’s “no chance” he’ll be returning to Sunderland following the sacking of Jack Ross – Full story here.
- And finally, the NUFC fan who was filled with both elation and dread following Matty Longstaff’s winner last weekend – Read why here.