A round-up of today’s NUFC news and gossip:
- According to reports in Germany today, Newcastle made a €28m (£25m) bid to sign Mainz striker Jean-Philippe Mateta over the summer – Full story here.
- DeAndre Yedlin has been slated by USMNT fans and US press after a costly error and ‘terrible’ display in his country’s 2-0 defeat to Canada – Full story here.
- According to the Chronicle, Rafa Benitez is a ‘big fan’ of Federico Fernandez and could attempt to bring the centre-back to China in January – Full story here.
- Elias Sorensen made the most of a rare start for Carlisle last night, putting in an ‘exceptional’ performance in their 2-1 EFL Cup win over ex-club Blackpool – Full story here.
- Rob Elliot has warned fans not to get too carried away with teen sensation Matty Longstaff – Read his in-depth chat about the 19-year-old here.
- Michael Owen has released his prediction ahead of Newcastle’s trip to Stamford Bridge on Saturday – See what he’s had to say here.
- Charlie Nicholas has given one of the most bizarre interviews you’re likely to see this week, criticising NUFC fans who’ve been unhappy by the club’s start to the season – Full story here.
- Former Newcastle number nine Papiss Cisse has revealed that he actually wanted to stay at the club when he left the Magpies in 2016 – Read his comments here.